Sunday, April 13, 2008

How do you explain this to a 4 year old?

Well… I knew this was coming, but I wasn’t sure when it would happen and really didn’t know how to explain it. Last Saturday or Sunday night, Harris was saying his prayers and He asked how Greg was feeling. (He had only been around Greg a couple of times, but he heard Heidi and me talking about him a lot lately.) I was really caught off guard and didn’t know what to say. So I told Harris that Greg was feeling a lot better because he was in Heaven. When I told him this, he looked like he was going to cry (which in turn got me a little upset). I was trying to think of something to say quickly when Harris smiled and said “I know why Greg went to Heaven”. I was really surprised to hear this, so I let him explain. He said, “Greg went to Heaven to take care of Eddie (our dog that died a couple of years).” So naturally this really made it easy to explain to a 4 year old without going into too many details. I said “Yea, I think you’re right Greg is in Heaven taking care of Eddie” and I explained to Harris that Greg was a Veterinarian and he really did take care of dogs.

So after a few minutes of uneasiness, Harris smiled and said that he was happy that Greg was feeling better and that he was in Heaven taking care of Eddie.

Whew….I’m glad Harris explained that to himself cause I don’t know what I would have said.

No comments: